Bama Attack: Gov Shettima Releases 300 Million Naira For Reconstruction
The Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, has commiserated with the people of Bama over the recent attack on the town by the dreaded Boko Haram sect.
The Governor, who inspected the level of destruction in the town on Sunday, expressed shock over the assault which claimed almost 100 lives.
Places attacked by the radical sect include; the Shehu of Bama’s palace, the Bama Motor Park, several houses at the low-cost housing estate as well as shops and personal houses within the metropolis.
Several cars and vehicles were burnt by the insurgents and hundreds of people have fled the town for safety.
Commiserating with the Shehu of Bama in his palace, Governor Kashim Shettima was visibly sad over what he described as “lunatic of the Boko Haram” and approved the sum of 300 million Naira for the reconstruction of the destroyed structures in the town.
He said all the structures destroyed would be reconstructed immediately by a committee instead of given money to affected persons who according to him may relocate to other towns which would not be in the interest and progress of Bama town.
The Governor commended Bama residents for being resolute despite the attack and assured that more security personnel will be deployed to prevent further attack by the insurgents.
He also disclosed that books, uniform and food would be provided to schools in Bama town with the aim of encouraging academic activities despite the ceaseless attack.
He pledged the sum of 250, 000 Naira each to the families of anybody killed in the attack while the vigilante group and the civilian JTF were also given the sum of one million Naira each as logistic support.
The Shehu of Bama, Shehu Umar Kyari Garbai El- Kanemi, appreciated the kind gesture of the Governor, who he said had been prompt in responding to the attacks in the state and called on the people of his domain to consider the attack as an act of God and to remain patriotic against all odds.