Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie ; Long Road To The Altar
Judith Frank Edet
Angelina and Brad Pitt both finally tied the knot on Saturday, August 23, after nine years of being together. People magazine just released exclusive photos of the newlyweds, plus, read their relationship timeline below according to Digital Spy;
- The pair meet on the set of Doug Liman’s action comedy Mr & Mrs Smith in 2004. Despite being plagued with rumours of a romance, the twosome insist they are just friends.
- At the beginning of 2005, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston announce they are separating after almost five years of marriage. A few months later, Aniston files for divorce citing ‘irreconcilable differences’.
- Later that year, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie grace the cover of W magazine, with an accompanying ’50s-style photoshoot – entitled ‘Domestic Bliss’ – presenting the pair as a couple surrounded by young children. Pitt and Jolie haven’t yet confirmed their relationship, although pap pictures of the pair on holiday with Jolie’s then-only son Maddox emerge.
Also in 2005, Jolie adopts her second child, 6-month-old Zahara, from Addis Ababa in Ethiopia. The following January, Jolie confirms that she is pregnant with her first child with Pitt. She legally changes her non-biological children’s names to Jolie-Pitt, while Pitt legally adopts Maddox and Zahara. They soon become affectionately referred to as ‘Brangelina’ by the press.
A year later, Jolie adopts 3-year-old Pax from Vietnam. In 2008, Jack Black accidentally lets slip that Jolie and Pitt are expecting twins while he and Jolie promote animated comedy Kung Fu Panda at the Cannes Film Festival. Dustin Hoffman goes and announces the due date of the fraternal twins during a press conference at the festival.
- The couple welcome twins, a son Knox Leon, and daughter Vivienne Marcheline, in Nice, the South of France. They are the pair’s fifth and six child.
- In 2008, Jolie prompts Jennifer Aniston to deem her “uncool” after she reveals to The New York Times that she can’t wait for her children to see Mr & Mrs Smith, as “not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love”.
- Pitt later tells Rolling Stone that Mr & Mrs Smith is his favourite film because that’s when he fell for Jolie. Speaking to the US publication, he enthuses: “Because you know… six kids. Because I fell in love.”
- In 2009, Pitt continues to reaffirm the sentiment that he will marry Jolie “when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able”, which he originally stated during an interview with Esquire magazine back in 2006.
- Pitt and Jolie’s engagement is confirmed in 2012 by the actor’s representative Cynthia Pett-Dante, who announces: “Yes, it’s confirmed. It is a promise for the future and their kids are very happy. There’s no date set at this time.”
- Jolie reveals she underwent a preventative double mastectomy after discovering that she carried a gene which significantly increased the chance of developing cancer. Pitt lovingly supports Jolie and describes her as “absolutely heroic”.
- Earlier this year, Jolie reveals to People magazine that her children are helping her plan her wedding to Pitt and jokes that it will be like “Disney or paintball”. She also opens up about their relationship to Elle magazine, and admits that they drive each other “beautifully crazy”.
- The pair team up as they prepare to share the silver screen – for the first time in nine years – for upcoming movie By the Sea. Jolie wrote and will direct the drama.
- They marry!