Canada / Minister Baird Statement After the London Conference on Somalia
LONDON, United-Kingdom, February 23, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird today issued the following statement at the conclusion of the London Conference on Somalia:
“I want to thank the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron, for hosting this important conference and congratulate the United Kingdom for its efforts in bringing together the many stakeholders whose participation at this conference was vital.
“Today we joined the international community in expressing our solidarity with the people of Somalia and acknowledged the important role of the African Union and the United Nations in supporting progress toward peace and stability in Somalia.
“While we are encouraged by the recent military successes of the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), security represents Somalia’s greatest challenge. Listed terrorist organization Al Shabaab continually targets the vulnerable and blocks the delivery of aid, all while provoking fear in those who are struggling to keep their children alive.
“Canada is proud to support AMISOM’s efforts to bring security to Somalia, as we believe this is the first step toward improving the lives of the Somali people. In late 2011, our government announced a contribution of $1 million to the AMISOM trust fund, and today I am pleased to report that the government is supporting the deployment of a formed police unit from Uganda to Somalia. Canada continues to call for unfettered access for humanitarian relief to affected populations.
“Canada was encouraged by the good will expressed at this conference and will continue to work with the international community in supporting Somalia as it builds the permanent and durable structures of a safe, secure and stable democratic state.”
- World Leaders Focus on Somalia’s Future at London Conference (indepthafrica.com)
- Help Somalia or ‘pay the price’ (indepthafrica.com)
- UN to boost Somali peacekeepers (indepthafrica.com)
- Britain Urges World to Focus on Somalia (indepthafrica.com)
- The London conference on Somalia: an act of false generosity? (indepthafrica.com)
- Somaliland and the ‘London Conference’: Silanyo must challenge denial of Somaliland’s rights – By Ahmed M.I. Egal (indepthafrica.com)
- Communiqué of the Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU) (indepthafrica.com)