Ebola: 20 secondary contacts quarantined in Enugu
To check possible outbreak of the Ebola Virus Disease in Enugu State, the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, on Wednesday disclosed that 20 persons have been quarantined in the state.
Briefing State House correspondents at the end of the Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, said 198 persons are currently under watch by the Ministry of Health to contain further spread of the disease.
A nurse had earlier fled the Lagos quarantine centre and travelled to Enugu where she had contact with 20 other people.
Of the 198 persons under surveillance, he said that 177 of them are in Lagos, while 21 are in Enugu.
He said: “All those who had primary contact have been quarantined. Secondary contacts have also been traced. So far the number of people that have been traced is 198. Out of this number, 177 are in Lagos and are being traced. Some are in quarantine, some are being monitored by health specialists.”
“21 persons in Enugu are also being watched. This is because one of the nurses that was involved with the treatment of the index case, unfortunately, disobeyed medical instructions and somehow travelled to Enugu.”
“All those who she was in contact with including her husband are under quarantine. The medical team had been able to trace all those who made contact with her.”
He urged members of the public to discountenance rumours and unverified reports over the Ebola epidemic, saying the government will prosecute anybody spreading rumors that damage public health.
He said: “Health workers are now in all our border units. All the entry points into this country and exit points, we have port health workers that are working in our airports and seaports.”
This post was originally published on this site