Ebola: Lagos confirms five fresh suspected cases
The Lagos State Government Wednesday revealed that the state has received five additional suspected cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
The fresh suspected cases were said to have been brought in on Tuesday.
Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris who disclosed this to journalists on the update on government’s effort to contain the virus, said two of the fresh suspected cases are secondary contacts while the remaining three are primary contacts with the late Liberian, Patrick Sawyer who imported the disease into the country.
According to the Commissioner, the fresh suspected cases have increased the number of patients in isolation wards from two to six; adding that one of the suspected cases was a Liberian who was brought into the isolation centre from the Murtala Muhammed International Airport.
Idris however said that the Liberian has since been released, having tested negative to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
He said, “Till date, we have recorded eight suspected cases, five of which were brought in yesterday. We have 12 confirmed cases on the whole out of which five have died and five have been discharged. We are currently following up on 213 contacts while 62 have completed the 21-day follow-up.
“Yesterday, we recorded the death of the Senior Consultant/Endocrinologist of First Consultant Hospital, Obalende Lagos-Dr. Stella Shade Ameyo Adadevoh, She, it was, who took the initiative to intimate the ministry concerning the index case and substantially to her credit, the moderate containment achieved we owe to her and her colleagues.”
Idris was however full of praise for the late doctor, recalling that Dr. Adadevoh led the team who attended to the index case and her doggedness and commitment saw her personally review the case even thought the patient had earlier been seen by a doctor.
“No doubt, she and other affected health workers are our heros and heroines of the day.
“The Ministry of Health and indeed the Lagos State Government, commiserates with their families, co-workers, friends and loved ones on these irreparable losses which was on the line of duty”.
Idris said the Lagos State Ministry of Health is continuing with the vigorous contact tracing which is now shifting from primary to secondary contacts; adding that the mode of spread remains mainly transmission from an infected person in an infective state and from infected animals.
He said: “This is call for vigilance as human transmission is only achieved by physical contact with a person who is acutely and gravely ill (fever being a key sign) from Ebola virus through body fluids such as blood, urine, stool, saliva, breast milk, semen and vomits.
“Burial ceremonies where mourners including family members have direct contact with patients who died of Ebola have also played a role in the spread and direct contact with dead bodies should be minimized at this period.”
Fielding questions on whether a patient could request for administration of an available unapproved or experimental drugs like ‘Nanosilver’, Dr. Idris said the possibility of that happening is very low as no certified doctor would be willing to administer an unapproved experimental drugs on a patient.
He said testing positive to EVD is not a death sentence if detected early, even as he encouraged anyone who manifests Ebola symptoms to give up themselves for proper test and medical care.
Asked whether Lagos State Government has received support from the N1.9 billion intervention fund approved by the Federal Government to fight Ebola , the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy Mr. Aderemi Ibirogba told our correspondent that the Federal Government has not given the state a dime to fight Ebola.
“May be the Federal Government will release funds later. But we are grateful for all the Federal Government has done, giving us technical support in the fight against the virus, releasing their staffs for contact tracing, case management, operation of the Emergency operation centre and the rapid response team.
“This is a collaborative effort between the Federal, state government and other foreign partners. As at now, we are yet to receive money from the Federal Government.”
Ibirogba explained that the money spent so far on the health of the Ebola victims were funds released by the State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola to combat the disease.
This post was originally published on this site