Ex-Chelsea boss Villas-Boas expected to be named new Tottenham manager
Former Chelsea and Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas has once again been identified by the British press as the favourite to take over the vacant managerial position at Tottenham with reports claiming he could be unveiled next week.
After Harry Redknapp’s four year reign at Spurs came to an end earlier this month, the media has been awash with speculation linking various names to the position. Everton’s David Moyes and Wigan manager Roberto Martinez are two that have been mentioned, while France boss Laurent Blanc has also been linked.
However, throughout the saga, Villas-Boas has been considered among the favourites, and the Daily Mail understands that Spurs are putting the final touches on a three-year deal and are hopeful of naming the 34-year-old as Redknapp’s successor on July 1.
Brazilian club Sao Paulo had made an approach to Villas-Boas, but he decided to reject their offer in the hope the move to Tottenham would work out.
“He today said that he doesn’t want to manage Sao Paulo,” Sao Paulo director of football Adalberto Baptista told Globo Esporte.
“He prefers to have more time to plan things but I have no time to wait.”
Reports claim that Villas-Boas’ representatives have held extensive and successful talks with Tottenham, who are thought to be impressed with his long-term vision for the club.
Despite his ill-fated eight-month stint at Chelsea, Villas-Boas is still held in high regard following his achievements at Porto, where he won the treble in his first full season in charge and led the club to an unbeaten league campaign.
This post has already been read 3 times!