Five family members die mysteriously in Ondo, three others hospitalised
Five members of a family of eight mysteriously died today at ijaro quarters in Akure South Local Government Area of Ondo state.
The tragedy involved a mother-in-law, three children and a brother-in-law who were found dead in the same building.
The husband, Kehinde Ajayi, his wife, Banke and their son, Samuel Ajayi were also found unconscious and were rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
Narrating the ordeal, a neighbour, Mr Muyideen Raheem said, Kehinde Ajayi who is the head of the family had ran to him on Saturday June 7 to assist him with prayers to revive his ailing children .
“I and another neighbour rushed to his house and we found the children lying weak on the floor and we began to pray till the children woke up.
“Kehinde also prayed into water and sprinkled it in the house and on the children and they got up. We thereby advised him to take the children to the hospital for medical attention but he said it is not a medical issue.
“On Sunday my wife told me Kehinde came to the house to show his appreciation, but just yesterday we began to hear shouts.”
“When we got to the house we discovered that the wife’s mum, three of the children and the wife’s nephew who had come to sit for the ongoing NECO were already dead while Kehinde, Banke his wife and Samuel their son were still alive but unconscious.”
Raheem explained that on Tuesday, the Police came around to evacuate the bodies of the victims to the State Specialist Hospital, Akure.
He further gave the names of the children as Mary, Abigail, Dara, Michael and Samuel.
Reacting , the Chief Medical Director(CMD) of the hospital, Dr Ikuomola Adeniran Ayodele explained that five members of the Ajayi family were brought in dead while three were brought into the hospital unconscious.
Dr Ikuomola said the husband and the son have been referred to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Owo while the wife who has regained consciousness was receiving treatment at the emergency unit of the hospital.
He said the cause of their death and ailment was yet to be ascertained but all the symptoms showed that it could be caused by food poisoning.
However, there have been contradictory reports that the family members ate rice before trouble struck.
Another source linked the tragedy on spiritual factor saying,” the family who are members of Cherubim and Seraphim might have tried to go on a spiritual sojourn which is part of the C and S spiritual rites.”
This post has already been read 1 times!
This post was originally published on this site