At 97 naira per litre, petrol is not something anyone wants to misuse or waste wantonly.
Cutting short your trips to the filling station and saving money is necessary. In order for motorists to conserve petrol, here are a few tips they may want to follow.
- Avoid tampering with your vehicles thermostat or the direction of the fan.
- Ensure that your vehicle is serviced regularly.
- Change dirty air filters, spark plugs or spark plug wires promptly.
- Tune up the vehicle if it emits black or brownish smoke.
- Ensure that the cover of your fuel tank is securely locked to prevent quick evaporation of fuel.
- Refill the fuel as soon as it is half empty, because the more space, the faster the evaporation.
- Four-cylinders consume less than six cylinders vehicles.
- Several short trips from cold start engine could consume twice the fuel used for multi-stop trips of the same distance with a warm engine.
- It’s better to fill your tank during the coolest hours of the day, because fuel is denser in cool temperature.
- Under-inflated tyres make the engine to use more energy, thereby consuming more fuel.
Photo credit: www.quickquid.co.uk