Greater Equatoria Council of Rights: Press Statement on the crises in South Sudan
Saturday, March/22/2014, SSN;
On behalf of the Greater Equatoria Council of Rights (GRECOR); we would like to make the following statements:-
1. The GRECOR, which is an umbrella of various political parties, NGOs, Women, Men, Youth and Children of Equatoria Region, hereby, declares that, as from today, Saturday, March 22, 2014, the current crises are no longer confined to political differences over the issues of leadership within the SPLM as the ruling political party in the Sovereign Republic of South Sudan (SRSS);
2. The political and military allegations, by various national, regional and international individuals, groups and organisations that, the said crises in the SRSS are due to political quarrels between the Nuer and Dinka tribes of the SRSS, are unfounded and untenable;
3. It is not true that, the Nuer as a tribe, in the SRSS, are the ultimate threat to the prosperity of the SRSS. The truth is that, lack of prudent leadership and the absence of attainable vision are the threats to the prosperity of the SRSS;
4. The core causes of the current crises in the SRSS and which are also the ultimate threat to the wellbeing of the entire peoples of the SRSS, are entrenched corruption, tribalism, nepotism, exclusion of others, lack of accountability, lack of transparency, misuse and abuse of comprehensive fiduciary duties and lack of meritocracy;
5. The perception inside the SRSS that, current negotiations, being mediated by IGAD, and other international partners, are basically negotiations between the Upper Nile and Bahr el Ghazal Regions, and in total exclusion of Equatoria Region, in the SRSS, is a recipe for future comprehensive instabilities in the SRSS;
6. The Equatoria Region of the SRSS has always been the stabilizer of comprehensive issues of governance in South Sudan since 1956 until 2005, when it has been comprehensively marginalised by the operationalisation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) of 2005 to date;
7. The ubiquitous absence of effective and efficacious participation of Equatoria Region, in the legislative, judicial, political, military, security, economic, financial, moral, and social administration of South Sudan from 2005 to 2013; due to dysfunctional operationalisation of the CPA, has fundamentally contributed to the extant symptoms of a failed State in South Sudan;
8. The GRECOR, with the total support of the peoples of Equatoria Region, reject the mobilisation of their sons and daughters, into various military and security institutions; in the SRSS, in order to fight against SPLM/A, under the leadership of Dr. Riek Machar;
9. The GRECOR, with the total support of the peoples of Equatoria Region; of the SRSS, calls for, and encourages, the mobilisation of all women, youth, and men of Equatoria Region, to work together, with the other peace loving peoples of the other two regions, in the SRSS, for the creation of an stable SRSS, via the instrument of an interim government, with equitable representation of all women and men of the SRSS;
10. The GRECOR, in total support of political realism in the SRSS; supports the call for the establishment of an interim government, under the leadership of competent and capable South Sudanese Woman or Man, to steer the SRSS in this interim period, during which, all institutions of governance are reformed for the total interest of all peoples of the SRSS;
11. The GRECOR supports the call for the establishment of a federal system of governance in the SRSS, based on the former three regions of Equatoria, Upper Nile and Bahr El Ghazal;
12. The GRECOR calls for efficient application of lustration laws as instruments for building a peaceful SRSS which is at peace with herself and neighbouring countries in the region, and which respects international law for a peaceful regional and international coexistence;
13. The GRECOR calls for genuine engendering of the negotiation process to ascertain a just peace for the interest of all peoples of the SRSS; and
14. The GRECOR warns that, an unstable SRSS is already a threat to the peoples of South Sudan, and will be a threat to the regional and international peace and security, and as such, an all-inclusive and representative settlement in which; all peoples of the SRSS see themselves is a must.
How GRECOR intends to be part and parcel of the current negotiation process?
1. GRECOR is an integral part and parcel of South Sudan, and the issues identified by the SPLM/A, under the leadership of Dr. Riek Machar are consistent with the comprehensive and detailed aspirations of the peoples of Equatoria Region in particular and the SRSS in general;
2. GRECOR does not hesitate to protect the interest of the peoples of the SRSS in general, and the interest of the peoples of Equatoria Region, which can only be realised within the remit of a functional and stable South Sudan; and
3. GRECOR shall participate in the negotiation team of the SPLM/A, under the leadership of Dr. Riek Machar, but with a clear vision for total peace and prosperity in Equatoria Region as the stabiliser of South Sudan as land and peoples.
Col. (Rtd). Prof. Wani Tombe Lako Lokitari
Greater Equatoria Council of Rights (GRECOR)
This post has already been read 1 times!