Hotel bans Malema
Expelled former ANCYL leader Julius Malema has been barred from entering Luthuli House and other party offices, and has also been banned from a plush boutique apartment in Cape Town.
A reservation manager at the Waterfront Village hotel in the V&A Waterfront has confirmed that Malema has been “blacklisted” – for alleged “bad behaviour” and “disrespect” towards staff and security guards during a recent stay there.
The manager, Valencia Santi, confirmed last week she had conveyed the message about the banning in an e-mail, written “(on) instruction from my superiors”.
A source told Weekend Argus sister title The Sunday Independent that Malema was a long-term patron at the hotel, and that there had been no previous problems with his “noisy behaviour”.
The source, who is close to Malema, suspects that the timing has to do with Malema’s political woes after he was booted out of the ANC.
Santi sent the e-mail to Malema’s travel agent, informing them that he may no longer stay there.
“Please inform all the consultants that the Waterfront Village has blacklisted the guest from the youth league due to bad behaviour and disrespect to the staff and the security… we can no longer accept bookings,” Santi wrote.
A surprised Malema responded that he had no idea when he had done “all this”.
“I am not aware of any banning. They have never brought such a thing to me. I have never done a party in Cape Town,” he said.
Meanwhile, ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe has instructed the ruling party’s branches to bar Malema and his co-accused from entering ANC offices, attending its meetings, or participating in any activity of the party.
In a letter dated April 25, Mantashe told the ruling party’s provincial secretaries to inform all branches about the disciplinary penalties imposed on Malema, the league’s secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa, and spokesman Floyd Shivambu.
Magaqa has been slapped with a one-year suspension from the ruling party, while Shivhambu has been thrown out of the party for three years.
“The three comrades mentioned are not to be invited to meetings of any structure of the ANC, should not be allowed to involve themselves in any ANC activities, nor are they allowed to enter ANC offices,” Mantashe said in the circular.
In another blow to Malema, Mantashe called on the ANC provincial secretaries to assist with an investigation into possible fraudulent changes to the league’s constitution, allegedly designed to shield Malema from disciplinary penalties imposed by the ANC.
The ANC’s appeals committee, headed by ANC senior leader and businessman Cyril Ramaphosa, ruled that there was no “cogent” evidence that the correct procedure was followed in amending article 11.2 of the league’s constitution. In terms of the old constitution, disciplinary sanctions of the ANC had the “same application in all structures of the ANC”.
But at the height of the disciplinary action against Malema, in November last year, he argued that the ANC’s disciplinary committee relied on an old constitution to rein in youth league leaders.
The league changed its constitution at its elective conference last June.
The amendments meant Malema and the league’s members could only be fired from the ANC – not from the youth league.
This amendment is now under investigation. – Sunday Argus
This post has already been read 5 times!