Israel resumes Gaza offensive

By IAfrica
In Nigeria
Jul 27th, 2014
0 Comments
80 Views

The Israeli military said it is resuming air, ground and naval raids on Gaza as Palestinian militants continue to fire rockets after rejecting a humanitarian truce.

Israel had accepted a United Nations request for a 24-hour ceasefire, but warned it would act if it was breached by Hamas.

Hamas said it would not accept a truce unless Israeli troops left Gaza and the displaced were allowed to return home.

More than 1,000 Palestinians and 46 Israelis have been killed, the BBC reports.

A majority of those killed in Gaza are civilians, Palestinian health officials said, while 43 soldiers and three civilians have died on the Israeli side.

On Saturday, many Gaza residents used the truce to gather supplies and retrieve bodies buried under rubble.

The extended ceasefire had been due to expire at midnight local time (21:00 GMT).

“Following Hamas’ incessant rocket fire throughout the humanitarian window, which was agreed upon for the welfare of the civilian population in Gaza, the IDF [Israel Defense Forces] will now resume its aerial, naval and ground activity in the Gaza Strip,” Israel’s military said in a tweet on Sunday morning.

Israel’s cabinet had decided to extend the humanitarian truce, which began on Saturday, until the end of Sunday.


This post was originally published on this site

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Comments are closed.