Mubi bombing: Troops arrest key suspect, says DHQ
The Defence Headquarters yesterday said a key suspect behind the bomb explosion in Mubi on Sunday had been arrested by troops deployed in the area.
It also confirmed that 18 people were confirmed dead and 19 others wounded.
Director of Defence Information, Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, gave the update in a statement in Abuja, against the backdrop of the ongoing investigation into the incident.
The statement said: “In recent operational engagements of troops deployed to fight terrorism in North Eastern Nigeria, a key suspect in the terror bomb explosion that rocked the Kabang community in Mubi, Adamawa State on Sunday evening has been arrested by troops who cordoned the area in a swift response to the explosion.
“The suspect was nabbed as observant members of the public confirmed sighting him alight from the vehicle used in conveying the explosive device that was detonated in Kabang shortly before the explosion.
“So far, 19 persons wounded in the explosion have been evacuated and are receiving medical attention in hospitals while 18 others have been confirmed dead.”
The statement also explained that troops also repelled an ambush by terrorists in Biu in Borno State.
“Meanwhile patrol troops have successfully repelled an ambush in Buratai community in Biu, a town in Borno state.
“The troops who fell into the ambush laid by the terrorists while on patrol, engaged the terrorists in a decisive fire fight killing four of them and capturing one alive. Also in Kawuri in Borno state, troops in a patrol have killed five terrorists in a shootout. “The troops also captured two AK 47 rifles and two vehicles used by the terrorists.”
This post was originally published on this site