Nigeria: Four Killed, 30 arrested in Boko Haram Police Clash

By IndepthAfrica
In Nigeria
Nov 30th, 2012

Red Cross officials carry the victim of a bomb attack on a stretcher during an evacuation in Nigeria’s northern city of Kano January 21, 2012. More than 100 people were killed in bomb attacks and gunfights in Nigeria’s second largest city Kano late on Friday, a senior local government security source told Reuters, in the deadliest coordinated strike claimed by Islamist sect Boko Haram to date.

A FRESH wave of violence has swept through different parts of the country, claiming both security operatives and civilians.

In Plateau State, the Special Task Force (STF) Operation Safe Haven said its personnel who were on a routine patrol intercepted some armed men around Rim Village, killing one of them when they engaged the STF in a gun duel.

The armed men, according to a statement issued yesterday by the spokesman of the STF, Captain Salisu Ibrahim Mustapha, opened fire on sighting the men of the STF.

He said: “Our troops engaged them in gun duel killing one while others escaped into the surrounding bushes.

“The search for the assailants in the bush led to the recovery of some arms and ammunition while the body of the killed assailant has been deposited at Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) mortuary. Effort to track down the other assailants is still ongoing.”

In an earlier incident on Tuesday night, three people were confirmed dead due to the activities of gunmen who launched an attack on Sho Village in Barkin Ladi Local Council of the state.

Among the dead were relations of the Chairman of Barkin Ladi Council, Dr. Emmanuel Loman. Loman who addressed the press on Tuesday said that 10 people were killed at Heipang.

In Maiduguri, Borno State, five people, among them soldiers, immigration personnel and civilians were feared dead following a clash between members of the Joint Task Force (JTF) and suspected Boko Haram gunmen in the Bulabulin Ngarnam ward of the state.

The gunmen were said to have launched attacks on JTF patrol vehicles with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and petrol bombs for half an hour at about12.30 p.m.

An eyewitness to the Bulabulin Ngarnam clash and resident of the area, Aisami Yakubu, however, said more than five people were killed adding that he saw about nine bodies of soldiers and civilians on the streets and roads of Bulabulin.

The JTF spokesman, Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa, in statement made available to reporters in Maiduguri disclosed that three Boko Haram gunmen were killed and 31 suspects arrested, after a “cordon and search” operations in the attacked areas of the Maiduguri metropolis.

Another resident, in a telephone interview also said he saw over nine dead bodies on the ground.

In Lagos, the communal clash between the predominantly Ilaje settlers and indigenes in the Ajah area of Lagos Island continued yesterday leaving one man dead and 15 houses razed.

Police sources said a peace meeting scheduled between the Ilajes and the native Ajah people by the Area Commander of Area J, Felix Vwamhi, an Assistant Commissioner, could not hold as rampaging youths from both sides of the divide engaged one another overnight and continued until the morning.

Sources from Ilaje part told The Guardian that they would continue to fight until they avenged the death of their kinsmen and property allegedly destroyed by the Ajah people.

Equally, an Ajah indigene who spoke on condition of anonymity said the Ilajes were going too far in their quest for power and control, saying there is nowhere in the world where settlers are allowed to have dominion over the indigenes.

Speaking to The Guardian on telephone, the Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Command, Ngozi Braide, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said the peace meeting with the elders of the warring factions was going on when information came that the fight was still raging, as such, the area commander and his men had to rush there to ensure that peace reigned in the area.

Meanwhile, as a follow-up to the emergency meeting of the FCT Security Council on Wednesday, the FCT Minister, Bala Mohammed yesterday held another meeting with the Chief of Defence Intelligence Agency, Maj.-Gen. Sani Yusuf-Audu over the attack on the Headquarters of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Abuja on Monday.

The minister who approved the membership of the Chief of Defence Intelligence Agency in the FCT Security Council said areas of collaboration between all the security agencies were highlighted in order to fortify security in the Federal Capital City, pointing out that emphasis would henceforth be laid on intelligence gathering.

Earlier, Yusuf-Audu had said his visit to the minister was to rub minds and identify areas that could be strengthened as well as firm up collaboration between the military and the FC Administration.

Culled from THE VANGUARD

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS