Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Saturday morning
Good morning! Here are 10 things you need to know this morning:
1. President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday blamed his administration inability to crush the Boko Haram insurgents on both internal and external saboteur. Jonathan who was speaking when a delegation of Nollywood stars under the aegis of “Creative Professionals” visited him at the Presidential Villa, said his government would do everything possible to end the Boko Haram insurgency.
2. The All Progressives Congress, APC is yet to resolve on who becomes Buhari’s running mate in the coming 2015 election as report says the decision has become so difficult to make considering the rising interest in the position after Buhari emerged victorious in the primaries. A meeting of stakeholders held in Victoria Island, Lagos yesterday ended in a deadlock, prompting another one which has been fixed to hold in Abuja today.
3. A 13-year-old girl has been arrested by the Kano state police, after she was caught with a suicide vest packed with explosives. The girl was reportedly arrested hours after an attack by two female suicide bombers on Thursday at the Kantin Kwari textile market in Kano. She was said to be seeking medical attention at a clinic before health officials became suspicious and invited the police who discovered the explosives on her.
4. Report says a former Niger Delta militant, Mr. Government Ekpemupolo, otherwise know as Tompolo, has bought seven decommissioned Norwegian battleships. It was further reported that the fast-speed Hauk-class guided missile boats ow carry new weaponry. It was further revealed that Tompolo currently in in charge of the Global West Vessel Service, a privately owned contractor for maritime security for the Nigerian Maritime Safety Agency.
5. The prime suspect in the trial of the murder of Cynthia Osokogwu, Okwumo Nwabufor, yesterday denied before an Igbosere High Court in Lagos that he ordered the purchase of the drug, Ryhophnol that was used on the deceased before she was murdered. He said he never asked the third defendant, Orji Osita to sell any drug to him.
6. The All Progressives Congress in the South-East and some of the party’s governors have praised the decision of the party’s delegate by electing a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, as the party’s presidential candidate. The party has equally praised the other aspirants for accepting defeat without protest.
7. The Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, has commended the decision of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, for making President Goodluck Jonathan as its sole candidate for the 2015 presidential election, saying that Jonathan deserve a return ticket.
8. Report says that out of the N300 million needed by the catholic church to set up its own television station, about N15 million was yesterday, raised at a dinner organised by the Abuja Catholic diocese for the formal take off of the new Television Channel, called Catholic Television.
9. Report from Rivers state this morning has it that Prince Tonye Princewill has dumped the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, for the Labour Party, LP, and has picked Rivers state governorship ticket under the LP’s platform. This was contained in a terse statement issued by his media team.
10.Kano state Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has declared his intention to run for the Senate position of his zone come 2015. He said he was considering his supporters’ calls to contest so as to make effective laws for the country against the current situation where lawmakers are only engaged in bickerig. The governor disclosed this on Friday while addressing journalists in his office.
This post has already been read 5 times!
This post was originally published on this site