NIS tragedy: We obeyed ministers’ order, says Parradang

By IAfrica
In Nigeria
Mar 27th, 2014
0 Comments
63 Views

Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), David Parrandang, Thursday told the Senate that he simply obeyed the last order in the ill fated NIS recruitment exercise.

Parradang consistently said that the NIS was never the “driver” of the recruitment process but simply complied with directives as given by the Ministry of Interior.

The Immigration boss noted that throughout his years in the Service nobody had ever taken away the power of the NIS to recruit operatives of the Service from levels 1-7.

He also told the committee that he was opposed to the collection of money from applicants.

The Comptroller said that he also advised that the exercise be staggered and to adopt state of origin.

He said that on the 9th of September, 2013 the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prison Services Board placed advertisements in some national dailies for appointments into the Superintendent, Inspectorate and Immigration Assistant cadres.

He noted that the advert was signed by the then Board Secretary, Dr. Attahiru.

“I immediately placed a call to the Secretary that I am not aware that the Board met on this issue. I also placed a call to the Permanent Secretary too whether there was any decision of the Board to place an advert in the papers.

“I also placed a call to the two Commissioners that are seated before you here whether they were aware that the Board met and agreed for a publication to be made to recruit in the Service, but they all answered in the negative,” Parradang told the lawmakers.

The Immigration boss said that he wrote the then Secretary to express “my dismay that as a stakeholder, as the head of a Service that is supposed to recruit, I was not aware of this exercise.”

Parradang said that the Secretary pleaded with him that “I should understand with him that he was under immense pressure to put up the advert.”

Parradang quoted Dr. Attahiru to have said “I should not write the letter but I said no, this is an official matter it is not an issue to do with Mr. David Parradang but with the Nigeria Immigration Service.”

He added, “So I wrote him a letter that I was not given any benefit of a reply till way back in October when he had been removed from the Ministry. Along the line we were asked to look for funding and I had to look for funding for this exercise from the office of the Director General of Budget.

“I wrote him a letter that we have waiver from the Federal Civil Service Commission to recruit 4,556 operatives of the Nigeria Immigration Service.

“He told me categorically that Government was very conscious of overheads and there would be no money made available for it. I thought he was just being reluctant.

“So I kept pressurizing him. I went to that office practically every day for the whole of that week and subsequent weeks.

“The last concession I got from him is that I should wait that maybe it would be captured in the 2014 budget.

Print Friendly

This post was originally published on this site

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Comments are closed.