Nxasana not suspended: NPA
JOHANNESBURG – National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) head Mxolisi Nxasana has not been suspended, the NPA said on Friday.
“He is attending to a family bereavement today [Friday] and of course when he is not at the office he appoints a deputy to act in his stead, being Mr [Willie] Hofmeyr,” spokesman Nathi Mncube said.
“As of now he is not suspended, he is attending a funeral.”
This follows a report in The New Age on Friday stating that Nxasana had been suspended.
The newspaper claimed a letter informing Nxasana to vacate his office by the end of business on Thursday was received from the presidency on Monday.
Presidency spokesman Mac Maharaj said the establishment of an inquiry into Nxasana’s fitness to hold office was at an advanced stage.
Last Friday, he said in statement progress was being made regarding identifying the people who would constitute the inquiry at various levels, and also to conclude the terms of reference.
“An announcement will be made as soon as the processes have been completed.”
President Jacob Zuma announced his decision to institute the inquiry on July 5 after reports emerged that Nxasana had apparently not been given a security clearance because of past brushes with the law.
These included being tried for murder about 30 years ago. He was acquitted on the charge based on his version of self-defence.
This post was originally published on this site