Pakistani self immolates over school kit
Peshwar – Police say a 13-year-old Pakistani boy who set himself on fire because his family could not afford to buy him a new school uniform has died.
Police officer Zahir Shah said the boy, Kamran Khan, died on Saturday, a week after he doused himself with petrol and set himself on fire in northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
The boy’s older brother, Saleem Khan, said on Sunday the family did not have money to send Kamran to school. A private school let him attend for free because he was a promising student.
He said his brother was embarrassed by his old school uniform, because it was worn out. He argued with their mother about getting a new one, and she got angry and slapped him.
Then he went outside and set himself on fire.