President of the General Assembly meets with Somalia’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence
NEW YORK, January 24, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the President of the General Assembly
23 January, 2012
President of the General Assembly H.E. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser has held talks with H.E. Hussein Arab Isse, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence of Somalia.
They discussed developments in Somalia following President Al-Nasser’s joint visit with the Secretary General to Mogadishu last month. Mr. Isse told President Al-Nasser that the security situation has significantly improved in Mogadishu since last July. They also discussed the agenda for the upcoming London Meeting on Somalia to be held on 23 February with the aim of addressing the issue of development and humanitarian aid to Somalia.
On his part, the President of the General Assembly stressed the necessity of carrying through the implementation of the Somali Roadmap adopted last September in order to meet the deadline of August 2012. President Al-Nasser re-affirmed that the General Assembly and the International Community stand ready to offer whatever assistance they can to help Somalia and the Somali people.
Press conference of Mrs. Julia Dolly Joiner, Commissioner of Political Affairs of the AUTuesday, January 24, 2012 12:36 AMADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, January 24, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ — Mrs. Julia Dolly Joiner, Commissioner for Political Affairs of the African Union (AU), will on Tuesday 24 January 2012 at 11:00 am hold a press conference at the Media Center of the AU Conference Center in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
During the press conference to be held on the sidelines of the 18th AU Summit, Ms. Joiner will address the following issues:
– 2012: Year of shared values;
– Follow-up on the Pledging Conference of the AU on the humanitarian situation in the Horn of Africa;
– The Architecture of Governance in Africa;
– The status of ratification of the AU Convention on the Protection and Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), the Charter of Public Service and the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance.
Journalists are invited to take part in the press conference.
- Communiqué of the Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU) (indepthafrica.com)
- The African Union deeply concerned by the ongoing crisis in the transitional federal parliament of Somalia (indepthafrica.com)