Redknapp Reveals Remmy Sets For Chelsea
By Joy Ekeke
Chelsea are set to sign France striker Loic Remy from Queens Park Rangers before Monday’s transfer deadline, according to the Hoops manager Harry Redknapp.
Remy was set to start for QPR in their 1-0 Premier League win at home to Sunderland on Saturday, but Redknapp revealed the 27-year-old was pulled out of the team after Chelsea’s approach.
The Blues are reported to have triggered an £8 million ($13 million, 10.1 million euros) release clause in Remy’s contract after settling on the former Marseille forward as a replacement for Spain striker Fernando Torres, who is joining AC Milan on a two-year loan.
“He was in the team. I just got a phone-call about 12 o’clock (1100 GMT) to say it looks like he is going to be moving,” Redknapp told the BBC ahead of kick-off at Loftus Road.
“The deal looks like it has been done, so I had to make a change. As far as I know (it is Chelsea). He didn’t refuse to play, but it’s difficult to go out there to play and get your head around it.”
Remy joined QPR in January 2013, but following the club’s relegation to the Championship, he spent last season on loan at Newcastle United, scoring 14 goals in 26 league games.
Meanwhile, Redknapp has revealed that 29-year-old France international midfielder Lassana Diarra has agreed to join QPR from Lokomotiv Moscow.
Diarra previously played under Redknapp at Portsmouth and the QPR manager said: “Lassana has signed and I’m delighted to have him. I had him at Portsmouth and he is a terrific player.”
The conditions of Diarra’s transfer have not been revealed.
QPR will be the fourth English side that Diarra has played for after previous spells with Chelsea, Arsenal and Portsmouth.
The central midfielder joined Real Madrid from Portsmouth in January 2009 and spent three and a half years in the Spanish capital before a pair of unsuccessful stints at Russian clubs Anzhi Makhachkala and Lokomotiv.