Rwanda blasts decisions to withdraw aid
Dakar – Decisions by international donors to withdraw aid to Rwanda are “hasty” and “based on flimsy evidence”, Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo reportedly has said.
Britain on Saturday joined The Netherlands and United States in withholding aid donations following allegations that Rwanda backed M23 rebels, led by Bosco Ntaganda in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.
Ntaganda is wanted by the International Criminal Court on war crimes charges.
Britain it would withhold a total of $25m in aid. The Netherlands has said it will freeze more than $6m, while the US last week cut $200 000 in military aid.
Mushikiwabo told the Kigali-based New Times newspaper she would challenge the decision by European donors and “reassure” them.
“Rwanda cannot afford this kind of distraction,” she said.
This post has already been read 17 times!