August 30, 14 (JUBA) – Members of the committee formed by South Sudan president Salva Kiir to investigate crimes and destructions caused in Jonglei state at the intensity of the conflict arrived Saturday in the capital, Bor.
- The map of Jonglei in red
Jonglei’s information minister, Jody Jonglei said the committee begins work on 1 September, meeting survivors and eyewitnesses of the violent conflict.
“The committee will start their work immediately after church services on Sunday. The victims will speak, and the other eyewitnesses will give the required information,” said Jody.
“The government is also prepared to give a clear report of to the committee,” he added.
Jonglei, the country’s largest state was one of the three regions badly-hit by the conflict that started from the capital, Juba in mid-December last year. Hundreds of people were reportedly killed in Bor when opposition forces took control of the town, while thousands were forced to flee their homes in to neighbouring Lakes state.
In a separate incident, more than 50 civilians were killed in April, when armed youth stormed a United Nations camp in Bor demanding the immediate re-location of some of the displaced people from the protection of civilian site.
“The committee will also deal with what happened between December 15, 2013 to date in the state. This means that what happened in the UNMISS camp in April will not he left out,” said Jody.
Some youth members accused of killing displaced civilians at the UN camp in Bor vowed never to be part of the investigation process, saying none of its members was arrested in connection with the incident.
The committee, headed by Yuhanis Akol, will visit all the conflict- affected states and compile reports on what happened during the conflict.