We have contained Ebola – Minister
…Two more people discharged
38 days after Nigeria recorded its first case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, on Tuesday announced that the country has contained the deadly disease.
The minister also confirmed that more patients have been discharged.
The latest news was contained in an update release by the media aide to the minister, Mr. Dan Nwomeh.
The minister noted that as at Tuesday, Nigeria has only one confirmed Ebola case.
The only patient, according to the minister is a secondary contact of the Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, spouse of one of the physicians who participated in the management of the Liberian.
The minister also announced that the female patient though is still at the isolation centre, is stable.
He said, “As I speak to you, Nigeria has only one confirmed case of EVD, a secondary contact of Mr. Patrick Sawyer’s and spouse of one of the physicians who participated in the management of the index case. She is stable but still on treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos.
“So far, all the reported cases of the EVD in Nigeria have their root in the index case, the late Mr. Patrick Sawyer. This is an indication that, thus far, Nigeria has contained the disease outbreak.
“I wish to reassure Nigerians and indeed the global community that the government shall remain vigilant and will not relent as government continues to work with her partners to ensure that the disease is kept out of the country.”
Besides, the minister informed that 129 persons had been freed from surveillance, having passed through the 21 days incubation period for the virus without testing positive.
Similarly, 128 persons are still within the radar of government for the virus, the minister stated.
“All those who are under our surveillance, only one person is symptomatic; we are investigating, the result is not out. All others are not symptomatic,” he said.
This post was originally published on this site